Book Help Web


 

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pages Magazine: March

Reading about books can often be as interesting as reading books themselves.

I have a friend who is convinced that you should not have to know anything about an author in order to appreciate his or her work. I agree that a work should stand on its own, but I also find that my reading experience is enhanced when I have the opportunity to learn more about the person who wrote it or the context in which it was written.

It's for that reason that I enjoy my subscriptions to Pages Magazine. It's a magazine that combines "celebrity" news with reviews, information about trends, and news about what is happening in the books world.

The March issue took a look at four decades of feminist writing in honor of women's history month. They interviewed Erica Jong, Ariel Levy, and Helen Gurley Brown. The article opened a window into the personalities of these women--personalities which fairly sparkled with intelligence and good humor.

There was also an interesting article about how reading skills among kids have been improving. The author asked whether J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter deserves the credit.

All in all, I look forward to my monthly issue of Pages. They've struck a good mix of content and I always walk away enlightened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact