Book Help Web


 

Monday, April 24, 2006

Turn off your TV week

"Do you know we are ruled by TV?"-- from the poem An American Prayer by Jim Morrison

Now I'll confess, despite not owning a set, I have nothing against television. I think there are some wonderful stories being told on television. It's a wonderful media in that you can extend a story over a period of years. Granted, there are some artificial impositions on the story given the contracts of actors and the whims of ratings. Still, there is good storytelling going on.

However, I also appreciate the turn off your television movement.

This week launches the National Turn Off Your TV Week. Its organizers suggest spending a week doing something other than watching television: getting outside, playing games with your family, making things, or my personal favorite: reading.

My week isn't likely to be very different. Since I don't have a television to turn on, turning it off isn't going to make much difference. So I'll spend this week catching up on things that slid behind while I was sick last week: working on a freelance book, finishing up chapters for work, and crocheting ponchos and purses for an upcoming show.

However, I also have a few books at bedside that I'm working my way through: two books on attention deficit disorder and a book of drama lessons for 5- to 11-year-olds. I'm also expecting the arrival of a biography of an Olympic swimmer and Elizabeth Peters' latest novel.

If you find yourself unprepared with books for a week of a silenced screen, perhaps you might be interested in one of April's new releases:

  • Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger
  • Dead Days of Summer by Carolyn Hart
  • Hitched: A Regan Reilly Mystery by Carol Higgins Clark
  • Two Little Girls in Blue by Mary Higgins Clark
  • Dark Tort by Diana Mott Davidson
  • Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein
  • Dark Harbor by Stuart Woods



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact