Book Help Web


 

Monday, October 23, 2006

Norman Juster and The Phantom Tollbooth

One of my favorite books of all times is Norman Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. It captured my imagination when I was a child and it continued to be just as readable and enjoyable as an adult. In fact, there were even more things I appreciated about it as I grew older.

There are no other books that I've purchased as many times as The Phantom Tollbooth as I'm constantly buying it and giving it away. I've never been able to keep it in my house for longer than a few months. I recently purchased it again, because my son has become a reader. However, this was a book that I didn't want him to read alone, so we've been reading it aloud every night and having a blast. We're currently deep in the Mountains of Ignorance with Milo, Tock, and the Humbug fighting off such demons as the Everpresent Wordsnatcher, the Terrible Trivium, and the Demon of Insincerity.

So I had to smile when I came across this piece at Kirkus Reviews today. Milo has turned 45. The author of the piece, Gregory McNamee, captures much of what I feel about this absolutely delightful book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact