Book Help Web


 

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Inkheart and Inkspell

I'm always a little disappointed when I read a book that I'm really expecting to like and then I don't.

Even worse is when a book starts out really intriguing and then just sort of falls apart. Cornelia Funke's Inkheart was that way. I started out really enjoying it as my son and I listened to it on an audio recording during a cross-country drive we were making. The reading was done extremely well and I was fascinated by the premise and by the characters.

But it just couldn't hold itself up. The characters kept doing incredibly stupid things and the only reason seemed to be that the plot was demanding it. There was no explanation given for why these otherwise intelligent people would act the way that they did.

Yet, my disappointment with Inkheart didn't stop me from buying Inkspell--and in hardcover no less.

I'm mostly glad that I did. The sophomore offering in the series was far better than the first even though it ended on a cliffhanger that will launch the next book. It still had a lot of the same flaws as the first, but it also had all of the charm and the characters did start to become a little better motivated.

I'll have a review up sometime soon for those interested in reading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact