Book Help Web


 

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ken Jennings & Brainiac

Last month, I thoroughly enjoyed Ken Jennings' Brainiac. I saw him only a few times when he was making his winning Jeopardy! streak as I don't have a television, but I definitely remembered the sensation he made.

What I loved about the book was his wry sense of humor. I found myself frequently laughing aloud and forcing those around me to listen to me read passages. So it was with great delight that I was able to interview him for Book Help Web shortly after reading the book. He showed the same delightful humor in his interview as he did in his book.

Here's an excerpt from the interview:

Book Help Web: I described your book as one that is annoying to anyone who happens to be near the reader. This is because it simply begs to have portions read aloud and because I was constantly bursting into laughter at your delightful, wry humor. Did you consciously choose a humorous tone for this book or is it something that happened naturally?

Ken Jennings: This was my thought process: it's going to be an uphill battle anyway, convincing America that a book about trivia culture is going to be interesting or accessible. If unsuspecting readers are going to pay $24.95 for a nerdy topic like that, the least I can do to show my gratitude is throw them some jokes.

Read more...


On another note, Ken Jennings' wife, Mindy, (who took the photo you see on the interview) gave birth to their second child this week, a gorgeous baby girl named Caitlin Elizabeth whom you can see on Ken Jennings' blog. What did he read while waiting in the hospital? A book you've seen featured here: Brian Wilson's biography, Catch a Wave by Peter Ames Carlin.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact