Book Help Web


 

Friday, June 09, 2006

Turning 38

I turned 38 today. I can't claim it is much of an earth-shattering birthday nor that I'm having epiphanies of any sort. It's a good age--certainly as good as any of the ones that came before it.

But to celebrate said birthday, I figured I'd take a moment to see if I could list 38 books that have been meaningful in my life in some way--either because they changed the way I thought, had soem sort of profound effect on me, or was simply highly entertaining and made me laugh and appreciate life more.

So, in no particular order:

  1. The Bible
  2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  3. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster
  4. What Paul Really Said About Women by John Temple Bristow
  5. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  6. The Screwtape Letters By C.S. Lewis
  7. Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
  8. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  9. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  10. Christy by Catherine Marshall
  11. All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
  12. My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
  13. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  14. Creed or Chaos by Dorothy Sayers
  15. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
  16. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
  17. Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
  18. Midsummer Night's Dream By William Shakespeare
  19. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
  20. Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
  21. The Way the Crow Flies by Anne-Marie MacDonald
  22. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  23. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
  24. C.S. Lewis' science fiction trilogy
  25. The Crucible by Arthur Miller
  26. A Darker Place by Laurie R. King
  27. A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King
  28. Roman Blood by Stephen Saylor
  29. Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie
  30. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
  31. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  32. The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
  33. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  34. Are you there God, It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume
  35. Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
  36. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
  37. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  38. The Lorax (tied with And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street) by Dr. Seuss

Now, if I were to make the list again tomorrow, there might be entirely different books that would appear on it, and I'm certain I'll come up with others that make me go, "Oh! How could I forget about..."

But for today, that's my list.



1 Comments:

  • you've turned 38 gracefully.
    (you're supposed to say that when someone gets older, I guess.)

    But what I see is not how your eyes have faint lines around them.
    no.
    They're there, but that's like commenting on something as expected as offwhite paint in an apartment.

    No, it's how beautiful your eyes still are, how they always have been, and how they always will be, How they are the most beautiful eyes that I've ever seen

    and miss.

    You will do fine at 38.
    You will grow only more beautiful,

    and I envy those books,
    yes I do
    for your eyes roamed them and watched them endlessly,
    and closed
    -as the book was quietly let go of
    to tumble
    and be picked up again,
    -memorized

    (and had the honor and the memory
    -she watched me, and held me
    from beginning to end.

    oh, to be one of your books.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact