Book Help Web


 

Monday, June 12, 2006

Mary Higgins Clark: Scaring the daylights out of me

I had a reading experience last night that I haven't had for a long time. I read a book that so frightened and enthralled me that not only could I not put it down, I couldn't move while reading it.

I'd been to a garage sale on Friday afternoon and picked up a handful of books that I figured would make some light summer reading. They included a couple of titles by Mary Higgins Clark. I'd read one book by her and knew that she was an extremely popular author. So I wanted to see more of her stuff. I'd previously read You Belong to Me, a novel I found entertaining and had enjoyed.

The book I read of hers last night was A Cry in the Night. I grabbed it as I was going to bed, thinking that I would read a chapter or two before I fell asleep. Thankfully, I had gone to bed early that night because three hours later when my husband came to bed he found me rapidly turning pages. He tried turning out the light and I told him that I couldn't stop reading now or I'd have nightmares all night. I found myself truly terrorized by the book even though I was pretty sure I knew what was happening.

Since my husband wanted to sleep, I moved to the bathroom where I discovered that I had several neck and back crimps because I hadn't moved at all since I started to read (except for the movement necessary to turn pages.

It's reading experiences like that which make me such a fan of reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact