Book Help Web


 

Monday, August 07, 2006

John Kennedy Toole

I first heard about John Kennedy Toole from a friend of mine. More specifically, I heard about his one successful novel, A Confederacy of Dunces. She hailed it as the funniest book she had ever read. My husband soon read it and similarly praised it.

For myself, I never started it. They both said it could be incredibly cruel and that is was the mocking that made it so funny. That's not a humor that I typically enjoy much, so I chose to pass on it.

After reading a bit about Toole's life, it's a little easier to understand why he might write in the absurdist cruel style. He's not someone whom life treated very kindly. He had a smothering mother who wouldn't let him play with other children because she didn't want them to taint his genius. When he couldn't get his book published, he eventually committed suicide.

I do pity the man, but I think I shall still pass on A Confederacy of Dunces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact