Book Help Web


 

Friday, August 11, 2006

Daniel Silva & The Messenger

Last night I went to a discussion and book signing featuring Daniel Silva. He was promoting his latest book, The Messenger, a book that debuted this week in the #3 spot on the New York Times bestseller list.

It was the first time I'd ever been to a book signing for as much as I love books, I'm not a collector and tend to be pretty hard on the books that I do own.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and plan to make it to more book discussions/signings in the future.

Also, though I've not yet ever read a book by Silva (though I now have The Messenger tucked away in my car for reading this weekend), I was fascinated by the talk and the things he had to say. It helps, of course, that what he's writing about has extreme relevance to current events. He writes about counter-terrorism intelligence, specifically in Israel. He spoke with great affection about his main protagonist and it was obvious that those who had come to the signing shared that affection.

As a former journalist and international correspondent, he is also well-versed in what is happening in the Middle East. He shared many stories about his experiences while stationed there, including one time being roughed up by Islam extremists who threw him and his companion down the stairs before deciding they weren't spies and agreeing to be interviewed.

I took copious notes and will probably write more about him in this space in the future. But first, I'll read The Messenger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
Consumer Help Web Book Help Web Complaint Service Beading Book Cooking Finance Homeschool MMA Movies Music Scrapbook Shopping Travel TV Book Home Reviews by Author Reviews by Title Book Awards Interviews Blog Contact